11 Must Have Beauty Products for a Natural Look
It's the look we're lusting after. You knew it was bound to happen. With so much Kardashian coverage shoved in our faces year after year, there had to be a saturation point and thankfully we’re at it. With overly made up brows, lined lips, heavy foundation and smoked out eyes so dark you weren't sure if they were wearing makeup or a mask from a Venetian ball, wearing less makeup is starting to seem like a really hip and novel idea.
Peruse the latest fashion magazine covers such as Vogue and BAZAAR and you’ll see fresh faced models and actresses, not heavily made up ones. At award shows actresses are skipping the bright blush and lash extensions for nudes and peaches and letting their “natural” beauty shine forth instead. Even MAC Cosmetics created no-makeup looks for their Spring/Summer Runway trends book. When MAC shows a bare face you know the pendulum has officially swung the other way. The focus is now on the shape of the brow, the highlight of the cheekbone, the luminosity of the skin, beautiful white teeth. Beauty trendsetters and cosmetic companies are embracing and pushing the no-makeup look, that’s for sure, but don’t be fooled. Just because the trend is “bare faced” doesn't mean you get to jump out of bed and hit the streets (if only it could be that easy). And really, who wants to go completely bare faced anyway?! Makeup is fun and so is primping and beautifying…it’s a ritual we’re used to and enjoy indulging in. Beauty products are indeed called for, just different ones than you may be using now.
Here’s how to create your new minimal but just as gorgeous natural look. But before we get to the makeup, let’s talk about two absolute musts that no one will ever see but will certainly notice above all else. Beautiful skin and beautiful teeth. If you have both of those, your minimal makeup look will be even prettier and certainly a whole lot easier.
HOW TO GET GLOWING SKIN
TATA HARPER has an amazing skincare line (even Gwyneth Paltrow swears by it). One product that is especially worthwhile is their award-winning, best-selling multitasking collagen treatment called Rejuvenating Serum. $95. A concentrated formula to combat 7 signs of aging as well as infusing the skin with Hyaluronic Acid which helps to retain moisture giving the skin its more radiant and youthful glow. No matter what makeup you put on your skin, having healthy well cared for skin to begin with is a great start. Make that part of your daily routine and the minimal look can be yours forever.
HOW TO GET WHITE TEETH
Another beauty routine must is taking care of your teeth. With all the lattes and perhaps a cigarette or two (we’re not judging) no matter how much you brush, stains arise and no amount of makeup can fix that. But who has the time to get teeth professionally whitened? And for that matter, why should anyone pay the exorbitant price when there are over the counter systems you can purchase at your local Walgreens, Walmart and other retailers for a fraction of the cost? Use an OTC twice a year and on a daily basis choose a whitening toothpaste with hydrogen perxoide and fluroide, so you can toss that other toothpaste.
Beautiful skin and teeth are the foundation of your less is more look…but don't forget our other favorites to finish off your natural appeal
- Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum. $95
- Luster Pro Light Teeth Whitening System, $43.99
- Luster Power White Deep Stain Eraser Toothpaste, $6.99
- This look requires a soft sheer foundation formula. Try Giorgio Armani Luminessence CC Color Control. $52
- Blush needs to be simple and demure. A stain is best and apply lightly. Try Tarte Deluxe Cheek Stain, $10.
- A bronzer is a must. It gives the skin a healthy glow without being heavy or overdone. Just make sure to pick a shade that is right for your skin tone and NEVER go orange. Try Dior, Diorskin Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhancing Powder. $55
- Go easy on the eyes with a bit of reflection. Apply with a soft fluffy brush to create a second skin look, not cakey. Try Stila Eye Shadow in Wheat. $18
- A thin liner can be applied on the top lid to enhance the lash line. Go for dark charcoals or rich deep browns. Try Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Smoke. $20
- For a lengthening but not goopy mascara (this look will not work with spider lashes!) stick with defining mascaras in black. Never use colored mascaras for the “bare” look. Try Lancome Definicils-High Definition Mascara. $27.50
- Lips need a bare sheer gloss, nothing with shimmer or sparkle in them. Try Stila Lip Glaze in Apricot. $22
- Shape the brows but don’t overfill them. This means no heavy powders or strange pencil marked brows. This look requires a clear or tinted brow gel. Try Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel. $22
~The Foundation of your Natural Look - White Teeth
Luster’s Pro Light Dental Whitening System, $43.99, is a DIY teeth whitening system you only need to use every 6 months to a year. This is a deep stain removal system with results that rival any professional whitening system plus it doesn’t cause tooth sensitivity, something most tooth whitening treatments do.
In between treatments, using the Luster Power White Deep Stain Eraser Toothpaste, $6.99, is a great daily way to keep your smile white and healthy. (It removes up to 95% of surface stains in just 5 days and contains fluoride!) Keeping your teeth bright and white will enable you to wear any shade of lipstick you want, including a beigey nude, a shade so yummy for a barely there look but out of the question if your teeth are stained.